

Back during WWI and WWII Amercians planted "Victory Gardens" to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort. In addition to indirectly aiding the war effort these gardens were also considered a civil "morale booster" — in that gardeners could feel empowered by their contribution of labor and rewarded by the produce grown.
Now Chad and I aren't living in the past... but a few months ago he asked if we could plant a garden, and in these economic times, it reminded me of the Victory garden concept. So we raked a little corner of our backyard and went to work. I started seeds for Peas, Cucumbers, Canteloupes and Carrots, and I bought plants of Tomatoes, Strawberries and White Onions. You can't make a full salad... but I figure we'd plant things we eat a lot of. This is what it looked like shortly after I planted everything:
Here is what our garden looks like today: We had a frost that some of the seedlings didn't make it through, but I replanted seeds and a few plants grew back. The Strawberries and Tomatoes are the most successful. We've already pulled (and eaten) many strawberries and there are many tomatoes growing. They just have to get bigger and red. (We use a lot of tomatoes) The onions (in the middle) are growing really tall and should be ready to "harvest" by end of summer. (I'm guessing really. Thank goodness for the internet to tell you everything you need to know about growing vegetables).
Out front, we have four rose bushes that continue to be happy and healthy. They are a great batch of color in our yard. We really don't do anything to them, but water them. I try to trim once in a while, but I love how independent they are: I am not a green thumb and I hate weeding. But it has been fun taking care of these plants and waiting for the "vegetables" of our labor.
Meanwhile the baby is doing great. Kicking away everyday. Our little jumping bean now has hiccups which are fun. I will have to get the baby's room put together and post some pictures. We have an upcoming baby shower and trips to look forward to as well this summer. Thanks for checking in!
17 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment